Thinking of submitting to Porridge? Here are a few things you might need to know!
We are interested in:
- Essays of up to 4,000 words, from any discipline.
- Poetry (2-5 poems per submission).
- Prose in the form of short stories, flash fiction, and non-fiction, all capped at 4,000 words.
- Visual art; photography, portraiture, painting, collage, and other visual media.
- Anything that doesn’t neatly fit into these categories.
We’re launching a new space at Porridge online called ‘Comfort Foods’!
This is intended as an informal site of exchange, for people in diaspora to share anecdotes about their favourite foods / foods that remind them of home or even abate homesickness altogether. We’re looking for creative responses to the relationship between food and culture, identity and cuisine, and even eating away exile. But this is supposed to be fun and its totally flexible so if you end up writing a 2,000 word philosophical treatise on biryani, we’re here for it.
We’ll accept creative non fiction, food writing, creative writing and artwork on this theme!
If this sounds like something you’d be interested in then please do get in touch, putting ‘Comfort Foods’ in the subject line! We look forward to feasting on your submissions.
Our submissions are rolling – we take them year-round. We have no real restrictions bar the 4,000w limit, but do recommend that you send no more than three to five pieces at a time (unless these pieces form one work e.g. a series of photographs or a poetic sequence). We accept simultaneous submissions and previously published work, just let us know who to credit. If you do choose to submit, please be sure to attach a short bio telling us a little about yourself and your interests.
We are a small team of volunteers so do expect our response time to be slow, however if we haven’t been in touch within the month do feel free to get in touch!
We take submissions and enquiries, in the form of word documents, PDFs or Google Docs via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sadly, we are currently unable to pay contributors but are working to make this possible as we believe everyone deserves reimbursement for their work.
PRINT SUBMISSIONS ARE CLOSED
Submissions for our third print issue are only open between 9th January and 9th February 2019. Anything sent before or after that time-frame will not be considered for print.
For our print issues, we accept the usual things:
- Poetry – send between three and five poems for consideration
- Visual art of all types – painting, photography, collage, digital art etc.
- Essays up to 2,000 words
- Short stories and creative non-fiction up to 2,000 words
- Flash fiction
Feel free to send anything you have that doesn’t neatly fit into one of these categories and we will be happy to look at it, but please note the word count is non-negotiable.
Some other rules/info to be read carefully:
- All submissions are to be sent via email (email@example.com). Please include PRINT in the subject box, followed by your name and the genre of the work you are submitting. E.g. PRINT – JOE BLOGGS / PHOTOGRAPHY.
- In the body of the email please include a third person biography (and a hello would be nice too!). Work should be attached to the email, not pasted into the body.
- Unlike our online platform, we do not accept previously published work for print.
- Work that is not accepted for print will automatically be considered for the website.
- If you have previously had work accepted for our print issues then please do not submit again on this occasion.
- Unfortunately we are not in a position to pay yet – we are still working on it – but all contributors will receive a copy of the print magazine.
To get an idea of what we like, have a look at the site but also considering buying a copy of the previous issues here.
Hopefully that’s pretty straightforward! If you do have any queries do get in touch but in the meantime we look forward to reading / viewing your work!